Monday, August 19, 2013

ROAR vs. Applause

Last week we experienced a battle of two of the biggest pop stars in current history. Both Katy Perry and Lady Gaga had their new singles leaked before the scheduled release date, so of course I listened to them. I secretly hoped I would love both, since a good pop song makes for good dance music which is a nice contrast to my more subdued playlists consisting of The National, Bon Iver and the likes.  In the end, however, I only felt love for Lady Gaga's Applause

When I heard Applause, I immediately wanted to start moving. It made want to dance because it's energetic and fun with a techno beat. The lyrical content is not the most uplifting or spiritual, but this cannot be expected from pop music; at least it is not about alcohol, drugs and sex. I am not impressed with the music video (no surprise here) as Lady Gaga's taste is dark and strange. She tries to hard to be provocative and I find it quite unappealing. In this regard, I prefer Katy Perry's more superficial approach to pop culture.

 

Katy Perry's Roar feels too juvenile, just watch the lyric video to see an example of what I mean.  It's so strange that someone my age (actually two years older) is making music for 12 year olds. It also sounds much of what we have heard from her previously (maybe Gaga is no different). It's a bit slow, in a controlled way - maybe it would have been better with a little more ______ (insert word here). Don't get me wrong; the song fits the pop music bill: it's catchy, poppy, and superficial. It actually has a decent message of empowerment, unlike most songs these days and it is outselling Lady Gaga's Applause on iTunes, so Katy Perry's team has succeeded, just not with me.  

Curious to know which song you prefer.






No comments:

Post a Comment