Friday, October 21, 2016

An Offering: A Very Personal Post


My life has been disconnected for some years now and I feel sad about it.

I am a person who longs for and needs connection, meaningful relationships and love.

I had some tests a while back that were so great that I withdrew socially and emotionally because I was overwhelmed by their complexity and did not know how to remain connected to those I loved while dealing with them. As a result, I’m sure I hurt those friends who did not know or were not able to understand what weight I was carrying.

Now here I am, years later, emerging anew, and my old self shed. I am as a perennial blossoming fresh from a long, harsh winter in the early spring soil, still tender but strong. I do not know if those wilted relationships have the strength to endure, although I hope they do.

This disconnection deepened also because I moved to a foreign country where I didn’t know anyone and have still yet to form a sense of connection, a community where I feel I belong. In many ways I feel hardened and apathetic, but I know this is just due to years of feeling apathy, judgment, condescension and indifference towards me. This made it even more challenging to overcome those aforementioned tests, adapt to a new social and cultural reality and have energy left to form bonds and new relationships.

I long for the warmth of love and connection to help me bounce back to social, joyful ol’ me. I miss opening my house to friends and strangers and trying to help people feel happy and welcome. I miss showing love to people; that was so characteristically part of my identity and something I considered as one of my strengths. Lacking community and friendship means I don’t have people with whom I can care for and express love to on a regular basis.

Please let me know if you are interested in starting over with me.

With love,
Ashley

5 comments:

  1. Ashley, I think we all go through trials and feel alone or lonely sometimes. I can't imagine being in a foreign country without some family around. I am sure Killian's family love you, how could they not!!?Please know you are deeply loved by many!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, You will always have your family no matter what happens. It must be difficult at times to be so far away from your roots. You may want to seek out a Mom's support group if one exists there. I joined one after Tyler was born and it helped a great deal to make new friends with ladies I had something in common with.
    You are greatly missed especially at the holidays. We are just a skype away, lol. Let me know if you find something. You may have to look for a program through a church. I will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the flower comparison. We all go through seasons and I am glad to hear your spring has come even as we head into fall :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The post is handsomely written. I have bookmarked you for keeping abreast with your new posts.

    escape games
    online escape games
    new escape games
    point and click games

    ReplyDelete