Monday, September 16, 2013

The Surprise Baby Shower

Baby showers are an American tradition, not European, so I was kind of sad that it was something that I would not have to celebrate the impending birth of my first child. Knowing this, the women of the Catalan side of my family decided to secretly collaborate in order to make one of these possible.

They did a whole bunch of research online and figured out that baby shower's are typically themed. One of this year's trends that I have really loved is the nautical/sea theme that has popped up everywhere from clothing to quilt fabric. I love the color yellow and Kilian loves blue so they created a nautical/sea theme with yellows and blues.

In order to prepare, they had a couple of planning meetings then spent about a week - including nights ending at 4AM preparing many of the handmade decoration and foods. Kilian's aunt is a graphic designer who loves creating beautiful baked goods such as cakes, cupcakes, and cookies with intricate designs so she helped show the others how to make onesie-shaped cookies and sailboat shaped snacks. They made a number of different finger foods, including a double-layer cake.

The cake from above
Cake detail





















There were a number of different games that we played, one of which required me to taste all sorts of different baby foods and guess their flavors- disgusting but hilarious! I will not have my baby suffer through eating that stuff. Later when the men arrived, Kilian and I were both blindfolded and I got to feed him. This was also hilarious - we started with me feeding him yogurt and then switched to one of the nasty baby foods (I think some sort of fish concoction). Poor guy! He was a good sport about it though.
Leaning in, before he realizes what he is going to taste.

Afterwards, trying to get as far away as possible.
The evening was filled with such love and joy. It was really special to be able to celebrate together and to have this American tradition in Catalonia.

** When I receive the other photos, I will post more. **

2 comments:

  1. What a very happy happy occasion! I didn't know your favorite colors are yellow and blue...something to keep in mind in case I find the time to make more items for the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was wonderful! Kilian loves blue and I love yellow (hence the lemon themed blog) - and they make a nice combination.

    ReplyDelete